National Scenic Byways Designation

Mud Island River Walk along the the Great River Road
Great River Road Mud Island River Walk
National Scenic Byways Program Logo
Who Can Nominate a Road for National Designation?

Any local government, including Indian tribal governments, or any private group or individual may nominate a road for national designation.

Nominations to the National Scenic Byways Program of byways on public lands may originate from the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, or the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Nominations must be submitted to FHWA by a State, an Indian tribe, or a Federal land management agency.

For more information on national designations please visit: