Materials & Tests Division
Laboratory Operations Office
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Phone: (615) 350-4181
Fax: (615) 350-4293
function of the Chemical Laboratory is to perform verification
tests confirming the chemical properties of numerous materials
used on state highways. These materials are used in various ways
and are submitted by contractors, state personnel or producers.
The most commonly tested samples are:
- Hydraulic Cement - chemical analysis that
verifies the primary compounds for future use in concrete
structures and fineness determines particle size.
- Fly Ash - a chemical analysis to verify
composition and uniformity.
- Culvert Metal - verifies the weight of coating
thickness used to provide protection against corrosion.
- Traffic Paint - verify the volatile content and
- Glass Beads - verifies gradation of glass beads
to be used in thermoplastic pavement marking or traffic
- Bridge Deck Cores - chloride content is determined for
potential corrosive effects on embedded steel.
Material - tensile strength and coating thickness for
- Crushed Limestone - chemical analysis verifies
material quality for use bituminous pavement and test to
determine if material is skid resistant.
- Agricultural Lime - gradation and verification of
- Structural Connections - hardness verifications.
- Elastomeric Bearing Pads - hardness verification.
- Deicing Salt - verification of Sodium Chloride