Materials & Tests Division - Laboratory Operations - Physical Testing Laboratory
Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Phone: (615) 350-4181
Fax: (615) 350-4293
function of the Physical Testing Laboratory is to perform
verification tests for the physical properties of various
materials used on state highway construction projects. This lab
generates numerous test results, breaking over 25,000 cylinders
The materials are submitted statewide from
producers, manufacturers, contractors and regional field
inspectors. The most popular samples submitted for testing
- Cement - compressive strength of cement mortar.
- Water for Concrete - a comparison of the given
water and distilled water is obtained by conducting various
cement tests using the same cement standard to determine
- Concrete Cylinders - determination of compressive
strength of cylindrical specimens prepared and cured
according to AASHTO specifications for quality control.
- Curing Compound - accepted on manufacturers
- Concrete Cores - verification check for design
thickness and compressive strength.
- Reinforced Concrete Pipe - absorption and
compressive strength test.
- Cable - accepted on manufacturers certification
Iron Castings - tension and/or transverse test for
- Reinforcement Bars - tensile strength with
- Wire Fabric - tensile strength with manufacturers
- Sewer Brick - percent absorption and compressive
- Coarse Aggregate - quality tests for field use
soundness, absorption, specific gravity and wear.
- Fine Aggregate - quality test for field use
soundness and specific gravity.
- Pre-stressed Concrete - accepted on manufacturers