Rail Safety/ Regulatory Unit
Rail Regulatory Section
James K. Polk Building, Suite 1800
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243
The regulation and enforcement of each discipline are specific to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in a joint program conducted with the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). Discipline regulations are found in CFR49 parts 212 to 240 and the Rail Safety/Regulatory Section currently employees Inspectors with the following specialties: Operating Practice, Hazardous Materials, Track, and Signal and Train Control.
- Tennessee Code Annotated (Title 65) and TDOT Rules (Part 1680)
- Partners with FRA to enforce Federal Law (CFR Part 49)
- Monitor railroad worker safety
- Conduct rail yard inspections
- Conduct highway-rail crossing inspections
- Review new railroad construction
- Conduct Industrial site walkway & close clearance inspection
- Coordinate with Tennessee Emergency management Agency (TEMA), responders for railroad emergencies.
Never go around lowered gates or flashing lights. It is illegal, and they are there for your safety. Lowered gates mean a train is just a few seconds away.