Yellow DOT Program
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Where do I go for a Yellow DOT packet?
There are several locations all over the state. Click here to find one near you.
- Q: What is included in a Yellow DOT packet?
Yellow DOT vehicle decal, medical information form & instruction brochure
- Q: Can I get more than one Yellow DOT packet?
Yes. You can get a Yellow DOT packet for every vehicle you drive.
- Q: Can I fill out the medical information form for passengers in my vehicle?
Absolutely. You should complete the medical information form for any other driver(s) of your vehicle—especially if they have a specific medical need (i.e. medical allergy, diabetes, heart problems).
- Q: Where does the Yellow DOT decal go on my vehicle?
On the driver's side rear window of the vehicle. There's also a smaller decal for motorcycles. Place it on the bottom left corner of the motorcycle license plate.
- Q: What happens if I don't have my photo on the medical form?
The photo is crucial to the success of the program. Yellow DOT is about saving those precious seconds immediately following a serious incident. Having a photo identifying to whom the medical form belongs will save time and possibly your life. Please, make sure a photo(s) is included with each medical information form.
- Q: What happens to my personal information?
Only you have the information in your glove compartment. It is not kept by any agency or another person.
- Q: Is my social security number needed on the medical information form?
- Q: Do I have to pay to participate in the Yellow DOT program?
No, it's free.
- Q: How can I become an enrollment site for the Yellow DOT program?
Groups or agencies may become a Yellow DOT Program Enrollment Site. Sites must be accessible to the public and be able to take a photo of the applicant for placement on the Medical Information Form. TDOT will provide the packets free to the enrollment sites. No fees may be charged for participation in the program. Typical enrollment sites are Senior Centers, local fire stations, county sheriff offices, churches, libraries, etc. Packets for distribution may be picked up from any TDOT Regional or District Office or by contacting the TDOT Traffic Operations Division at (615) 253-1122 or by email at TDOT.Comments@tn.gov.
TDOT Region/District Office Contacts